Subject: Questions and comments
From: Thomas A. Fine <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 92 14:57:10 -0500

I'm new to this list, so forgive me if I hit things already dealt with.

I'm implementing yet another browser (text mode, written in perl).
It's actually basically done.  I have implemented the following tags:

TITLE, A, NEXTID (currently ignored), ISINDEX (ignored), PLAINTEXT,
PRE, LISTING, XMP, P, H1-H6, HP1-HP6 (ignored), DL, UL, MENU, and DIR.

also, I have done PRE and OL. But along the way I've seen several other
things in several different places.  For instance the following seem to
be defined in viola:
  COMMENT, XMPA, S, ST, VOBJ, XMPA
I've also seen references to DOCUMENT, KEYWORDS, DOCTYPE, and perhaps others.

Which brings me to my main question:
Is there a definitive list somewhere of everything that's been proposed.

Other stuff:
I'm not sure what the difference is supposed to be between an OL and
a UL.  Should the browser actually sort the list items for a OL?

As far as the <PRE> discussion, I'm not sure I understand what the problem
is with interpreting new lines.  The visual line length won't change for
having added anchors.

Also, I was under the impression that PRE was like PLAINTEXT, meaning their
is no ending tag, just end of file.  I hope I've misunderstood, if you
are proposing to replace XMP with PRE.  Another problem with this replacement
is the quoting problem.  With XMP, you don't need to worry about whether
or not your arbitrary text contains something which looks like an HTML
tag.  This is an important feature, and one which should be kept IMHO.

            tom